Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Golden Afternoon Tea Company Saves Cinemas

On Sunday we were thrilled to be providing Afternoon Tea for a fantastic pop up cinema event in
Hither Green, South East London. The day of films was organised by the Hither Green Community Hall and Arts Society which was formed to save the historic cinema building of Hither Green and to raise awareness of the need for a cinema and community hall in the area.
We adore a lovely film so how could we resist..

 An empty warehouse was transformed as if by magic for the day and the crowds thronged to see the first cinema event in the area since 1957!


The first film was that wonderful classic and one of my absolute favourites, My Fair Lady.
Is there no finer musical? Rex Harrison, Audrey Hepburn... Colonel Pickering!!
 Cecil Beaton's incredible costumes in the Ascot scene and ahh, Audrey's frock that she wears to the ball- good golly makes me weak at the knees! Not to mention the heavenly songs, there was lots of silent singing behind the tea tables!


And of course, what could be more perfect than to tuck into Afternoon Tea as we tapped our feet and sang along.
Although there was not much chance to catch our breath, we were rushed off our feet with queues tailing far far back, phewie.
We couldn't pour the tea fast enough.

We even had to recruit the lovely Matt as an honorary Tea Maid!





We had a scrummy selection of cakes and we were rather carried away with the My Fair Lady theme
Luverly lemon drizzle with crystalized flowers and an enormous chocolate and violet heart shaped cake.
We had lots of apple cakes, thanks to a bountiful amount of cooking apples from a Kent orchard,
an apple and vanilla sponge, apple raisin and walnut cupcakes and a gooey and gorgeous apple and blackberry cake.

Lina made her fabulous lemon and poppyseed cupcakes and don't forget the scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
It was all demolished before we even had a chance to take some pics to show.
So here are the best we could get, most of the cakes had been snaffled up!


 

How perfectly civilized for a Sunday afternoon!
People kept coming back for more and one was even overheard saying this was the most delicious cake he had eaten in his whole life.. We like that lots.

Thanks to everyone who came and the team who worked so hard and organised such a fantastic day, let's hope it's the first of many!


5 comments:

Ing said...

Hello Lula!

What a fantastic idea! I know absolutely nothing about tea, being an ignorant American on the subject. I hope to learn more about tea time from your blog. I love films, too.

Best wishes! You are making the world sweeter!

Sending love from Georgia,

Ingrid

Lula said...

Welcome Ingrid, our first follower- how exciting!!
And thank you so much for your gorgeous message, I do hope you will be most entertained here, we will be doing lots of chattering about all the good things in life, mainly tea and cakes and flowers!

Ing said...

Tea and cakes and flowers! Sounds like a song!

I just had my morning cup of coffee, and now I'm wishing I'd had tea...
Can you suggest a good morning tea?

I'm truly tea challenged. What time is "tea time?" It's a concept I associate with all those great British period piece films I love to watch, but we really don't have anything like it here.

Loving your weblog and looking forward to more posts,

Ing

Lula said...

Well, you can't go wrong with a English Breakfast blend! I like a good strong flavour early in the day, save the fragrant Earl Grey and Lapsang Souchong for the afternoon..

Stick with us and you'll soon be sipping your tea like a refined English lady.. inspiration for my next post.
I love those films too, usually with Helena Bonham Carter as the pale heroine!!

Ing said...

Exactly!
She's classic! Just watched her as Bellatrix Lastrange in H.Potter. She's great in everything!

I will ask my husband to grab some English Breakfast blend tomorrow!

Thanks for the scoop! I loved the link to the Free Tea Bus in California!

Post a Comment